Monday, February 1, 2010

Population Explosion?: Kirtland's Warbler Responds To Wildlife/Habitat Management



See the current quiz on the right side?

Now look at the above graphic that shows the annual population changes of Kirtland's Warbler in Michigan during the last 20 years.

Hmmmm.......Do you think the current majority of folks who answered the quiz are correct? Incorrect?

Truth be told, the Michigan DNR's habitat management plan is a huge victory for the federally endangered Kirtland's.
Their populations in 12 central-northcentral Michigan counties continue to thrive. Prescribed fires have helped create optimum conditions in their Jack Pine community whereby managers have helped Kirtland's rebound from the brink of extinction in the late 1980s.

For more information, see:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_12202-32591--,00.html#quickfacts

Of course, Wisconsin breeding populations of Kirtland's are also big news. During the past three breeding seasons, Wisconsin has hosted newborns in at least two counties. For more details about the discovery of Kirtland's Warbler in Wisconsin and an overview of their breeding abundance, see one or more of my June and July, 2009 updates/articles in the archives section of this wood-warbler blog.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for answering my ID question about the mysterious yellow bird that has been decimating my suet feeder for the last few months...I'll be talking up the out-of-season orange-crowned warbler in my backyard from now on. -Mary

ps. Now that I've taken your "fab five" quiz I'm doubting my identification of a (Audubon's) Yellow-rumped warbler; can you tell me if I've been (yet again) mistaken: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/emmarytz/yellowrumpedwarbler1.jpg

Anonymous said...

Dear Mary:

You're correct, as it's a Yellow-Rumped Warbler (Audubon's subspecies).

Regards! Daniel, The Warbler Guy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.